Finding the right tires, especially in a warm weather climate like Phoenix, AZ comes down to three main factors: Function, Fit, and Value.
- Function: The needs for new tires: weather conditions, terrain, temperatures, etc. Most new family vehicles come with all-season tires. They can be used all year long and do pretty well in most road conditions – but they aren’t ideal during the extremes, especially heat.
- Winter tires have a “deeper” tread for handling snow and ice on highways and they have a rubber compound that helps them have better traction as temperatures drop below 45 degrees. They excel at stopping and road-holding. Dedicated summer tires enhance warm weather performance driving.
- If you drive off-road off road in AZ, there is a wide-range of tires from all-terrain (a good mix of highway and off-road capability) to dedicated off-road tires.
- A good technician will ask you and consider the function you need to recommend the right type of tire, load rating, speed rating and wear rating you need.
- Fit: The easiest thing is to select tires in the same size that were installed by the auto maker. If you want a different size wheel or tire profile, be sure to work with your service advisor so you can make sure that your new wheels and tires fit properly and don’t rub in bumps or turns. It’s also essential to make sure that important safety systems like anti-lock brakes, stability control and traction control aren’t adversely affected by the new tire size (the computer may need to be recalibrated to make necessary critical adjustments).
- Value: The tire that meets all your needs AND has the warranty and tread life you expect will often not be the least costly option – but it may well return the best value for your tire dollar.
Dayes Automotive is a full service auto repair and car maintenance shop. Making sure you have the right tires you need for what you drive in and around Phoenix is important to us.
Stay cool –
Kent and Tim